A bright, dazzling smile can do wonders for your attitude and confidence, but many of us don’t have perfectly pearly whites without a little help. Fortunately, Meyer & Johns can provide all the right ways to help your smile stand out.
Why Aren’t My Teeth Whiter?
There are many reasons why your teeth may not be as bright as you’d like, but the most common causes are external. Contributors to less-than-bright smiles include:
- Food and Drink – Some foods (most notably red wine, coffee, and tea) can stain your teeth because of their intense pigmentation.
- Tobacco – Both tar and nicotine can take a toll on your enamel.
- Aging – As your enamel becomes thinner with time, the dentin, yellower than enamel, begins to show through.
- Injury – Teeth that have been injured may darken in response to trauma.
There are essentially three options for tooth whitening:
- Whitening Toothpastes – Pastes can sometimes improve teeth by a shade, but are generally better for maintenance than for achieving new results.
- Over-the-Counter Whitening Products – These use the same peroxide-based whitening agents that are used in dental offices, but at lower concentrations, and lower efficacy. They generally require several applications over a week or more to make a noticeable difference.
- In-Office Whitening Products – Specially activated, professionally applied whitening compounds can really make a difference in your teeth after even just a single treatment. Hands-down the surest way to whiten your smile.
In some cases, veneers or composite bonding may be a more suitable option, depending on your unique case. For example, bleaching won’t change the color of any fillings you may have, which could lead to uneven tooth coloration.
Whatever your situation, the best first step toward the unstoppable confidence of a brilliant smile is to come talk to Meyer & Johns. We’d be happy to take a look at your teeth and work with you to discover an individualized approach to achieve your best possible results.